So, we’re a bit behind on the blog (in case you hadn’t already noticed) …
To bring you up to speed, in real time, we’ve already passed the Oregon/Washington border. We are currently at White Pass (near mile 2,300) and now have less than 350 miles to go until we reach Canada (fingers crossed).
With the going being slower than normal this year through the snow in the Sierras, we’ve had to make up time by doing bigger mile days through Northern California and Oregon. This has meant that our days have typically involved getting up before sunrise and hiking until sunset in order to hit our mileage targets. All of which, we have discovered, doesn’t leave a lot of spare time for writing a blog unfortunately!
The conventional wisdom is that you should aim to finish the PCT by 1 October if you definitely want to avoid being snowed out at the US-Canada border (which we’d ideally like to avoid as it would mean we wouldn’t be able to finish the trail). We’re already starting to notice some changes in the weather over the last couple of weeks on trail, so it is looking like it will be a race against time to reach Canada before the end of the hiking season.
We’ve heard from other hikers and locals that it may be possible to finish later into October if the weather doesn’t get too nasty though, which is comforting. Our plan is to continue to push to reach the Northern Terminus no later than 10 October, while keeping one eye on the upcoming weather.
This schedule, combined with the expected lack of cell service and wifi as we head further into northern Washington means that there will probably be a delay in us being able to finish our blog posts, but we will get them online once we have a chance to sit down and do some posting.
In the interim, we will keep posting daily photos on Instagram, so please feel free to follow us over there if you would like to see how we are progressing over the next few weeks.